:: Re: [DNG] Dng Digest, Vol 20, Issue…
Author: Jaromil
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Dng Digest, Vol 20, Issue 159
On Wed, 01 Jun 2016, emninger@??? wrote:

> have that jwm desktop on *MY* devuan jessie installation up and
> running smooth and fine, with a really very small footprint. And,
> imho, pretty eye candy too (but that's about tastes, i know ;) ).
> But to have that, i put together some tools, scripts and knowledge
> from crunchbang and manjaro openrc. Those tools are not available in
> the "regular" repositories, may be yet ... (?) But when it comes to
> be able to make with good reasons the proposal to have, in the
> installer a desktop option "JWM", at least some of that tools should
> be pulled into the installation by the installer. I think it's not
> that userfriendly to point her/him to: (only as an example) get this
> or that from soureforge.net or from the arch wiki repositories and
> so on. At least the skeleton of the desktop should be there after
> the installation. And then, could a user, if (s)he wants, add those
> to her/his sources list?

I understand the issue. this may end up being many packages etc.

I would say for your intentio a good start is to put notes together on
how to get your installation running (compiling from source stuff if
necessary), maybe a guide on https://talk.devuan.org where it can
grow with comments and perhaps become a wiki.

overall you may be better of doing a live cd starting with the desktop
that you have designed. In such a case a package wouldn't be
necessary: you can also compile it and toast it into an iso using
refractatools.

these ways you would be able to circulate your setup both for quick
test and for people running DEvuan to adopt it on their installation

to have such a setup streamlined into an easy to choose devuan
installation option, one should make a bunch of new packages and then
group them in tasksel. but then its best to have something to quickly
ship and receive feedback upon, before embarking in such a journey,
IMHO

ciao