:: Re: [DNG] Request for Removal of sl…
Author: Irrwahn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Request for Removal of slim package from Devuan
On Wed, 25 May 2016 15:11:20 +0200, Jaromil wrote:
[...]
> I don't exclude adopting the package with Devuan becoming upstream
>
> but are we 100% sure that there are no other alternatives out there,

FWIW, below is the trimmed-down version of a list I
shamelessly ripped from:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/display_manager

I edited out the ones I already know are too bloated.
I did not do any research on the remaining ones, nor
have I used any of them in the past!

| List of display managers
|
| Console
|
|     CDM — Ultra-minimalistic, yet full-featured login manager written in Bash.
|     Console TDM — Extension for xinit written in pure Bash.
|     nodm — Minimalistic display manager for automatic logins.
|
| Graphical
|
|     LXDM — LXDE display manager. Can be used independent of the LXDE desktop environment.
|     XDM — X display manager with support for XDMCP, host chooser.

> nor that lightdm can be tamed to a more minimal set of dependencies?

[...]

I /suspect/(!) it's not so much about lightdm itself,
but more about the gtl-greeter. I wonder how much effort
it be to "tame" that, or even replace it with a more
minimalist approach.

Regards
Urban