:: Re: [DNG] Pulseaudio ...
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Pulseaudio ...
On Wed, 25 May 2016 07:56:57 +0200
<emninger@???> wrote:

> Is pulseaudio necessary? As i understand it (and as i remember), it
> shouldn't be needed (in lubuntu at least in former times) it was not
> installed ... (?) But it's a long time i was away from Debian ...

There's no Pulseaudio on my system. So I don't get centralized
individual volume controls for each of my sound sources. Boo hoo hoo
hoo hoo.

When I need to use the Microsoft sabotaged Skype, which requires
Pulseaudio, I run it via apulse instead, and it works just fine. No
reason to use Pulseaudio itself.

IMHO Alsa is sufficient.

Once I built a Manjaro-OpenRC system with no Pulseaudio AND no Alsa.
Just OSS. Worked great, played Youtube videos just fine. I've never
again been able to do that.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21