:: Re: [DNG] How to change default ses…
Author: Irrwahn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] How to change default session
On Tue, 24 May 2016 02:16:32 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Tue, 24 May 2016 07:39:00 +0200
> Irrwahn <irrwahn@???> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 24 May 2016 07:05:30 +0200, Emninger wrote:

[...]
>>> How can i add JWM to the recognized sessions?f 'update-alternatives
>>> --config x-session-manager' only sees lxsession, startlxde and
>>> openbox but not JWM.
>>
>> Since JWM does not come with its own session manager, probably
>> only by messing with the X session startup scripts in /etc/X11.

[...]

> Why can't he just hard-code jwm or its session into .xsessionrc ?

[...]

I tried that a few days ago, and got some ... umm ...
"interesting" results. I just tried that again on a clean
VM install (dropped a one-liner for ~/.xsessionrc) and at
first it did indeed look better. However, after exiting from
jwm immediately the (default) lxde session came up, and I
had to in turn log out of that to return to the DM (lightdm
or slim, either one).

On second thought that's not surprising, so I added exit 0
to .xsessionrc, e viola: exiting from jwm dropped me back
to the DM. *However*, I am not entirely convinced that
method has no other drawbacks besides the obvious flaw that
I now can no longer log into another session type by
selecting it in the display manger. Clearly more hacking
is needed here! And all that just to keep a deprecated,
broken display manager. But, oh well! :P

Anyway, thanks for the heads up! :)

Regards
Urban