:: Re: [DNG] Evince
Author: Jaromil
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Evince
On Mon, 23 May 2016, Irrwahn wrote:

> On Mon, 23 May 2016 21:16:51 +0200, Jaromil wrote:
> [...]

> > on another note I wonder if all this knowledge put forward here,
> > for example on this thread on what is good for the PDF viewer
> > functionality, can be gathered into a sort of wiki document. IT
> > would be useful to have a menu structure that is our
> > *recommendation* to use applications for simple tasks to be done
> > on a minimal desktop with maximum functionality.

> While I consider this a sound idea, one should keep in mind that
> those recommendations should take into account the desktop
> environments. For example, I'd hesitate to unconditionally suggest a
> Qt-based tool to someone using a pure Gtk destop, because of the
> potential overhead involved (think libraries, etc.). What I'm trying
> to convey is, that the task might turn out to be not as
> straightforward as it looks on first glance. I still think it's
> worth to have stab at!

yes you are right. A good start could be to draft this for the default
desktop (XFCE) keeping in mind recommended applications should add as
less dependencies as possible to it (XFCE has already many...)

also I come to think such a list should be in a plain/text tree format
like YAML, so that can be programmatically parsed to create a usable
menu, unlikely the .desktop generated one which is ridicolously
unhandy (as previously mentioned also here)

> > perhaps we should really use talk.devuan.org for that.
>
> It'd be the most adequate place to put it, wouldn't it?

> [OT rant] Every time I open the talk page I feel a bit like I am
> trapped in some kind of weird surreal psychedelic candy
> dreamland. ;^)

not so OT and you are not alone thinking this. yet having talk
facilitates welcoming users from another age of computing. also, under
the hood, handles larger masses of participants (has very
sophisticated rating and such) and integrates a single-signon with
gitlab. overall its a compromise. I wish we don't need to force anyone
to use it (me included, as a lover of all text things) and there may
be even some hooks to text editors for it (in the future?).

yet it is the single best option we have right now for a maintainable
wiki for the Devuan project. The other option being wikis on gitlab
(not so handy and taxing for the system they run on) and markdown
pages edited via Git just like code (my favorite, but has a steep
adoption curve for those not used to Git).

So that's why I mention. But I hear you.