:: Re: [Squatconf] Event near Magdebur…
Author: Caleb James DeLisle
To: squatconf
Subject: Re: [Squatconf] Event near Magdeburg (Germany)
Lots of services are "centralized" to some degree, everybody knows it's bad
but it works. I think it's important to explain why FB in particular is
considered harmful.

Experimenting on their users by adjusting the mix of content shown to them
to be mostly depressing and seeing how they react:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Facebook#2014_emotion_manipulation_study

Various obvious censorship of types of content such as that related to
strife between kurdish people and turkish govt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Facebook#Censorship

What we don't know (can't prove) is that Facebook algorithms subtly act to
marginalize and disempower activists. Weaponizing #1 for the purpose of #2
would be an extremely powerful and toxic combination and because the FB
platform does not have documented expected behavior (like twitter does),
one can never know if they are being intentionally gaslighted[1] by the
platform.

So you can understand my reaction to a link which says "join us here https://facebo...."

Thanks,
Caleb