:: Re: [unSYSTEM] ADMIN: I just change…
Author: Jaromil
To: System undo crew
Subject: Re: [unSYSTEM] ADMIN: I just changed new subscribers to be moderated.

On Wed, 11 May 2016, eden wrote:

>    Spam is exactly what i was trying to avoid.

nothing can substitute human attention, thanks for taking care. on the
sysadmin side we have added a captcha to ml subscriptions at least to
weed out the less sophisticated bots around, so you can be fairly sure
new subs are mostly humans... or at least cyborgs :^)

it is a bit upsetting that only recaptcha is easy to adopt on mailman,
anything else would require ad-hoc coding we haven't found the time
for... and recaptcha is a third-party service ran by google, who
technically "knows" all people subscribing and trying to subscribe
this list, ip of connection (when not using tor) etc.

you are all welcome to come up with a better solution to this problem
perhaps this can be even discussed off-list

ciao