著者: Steve Litt
To: dng
古いトピック: Re: [DNG] hashtag retarded
題目: [DNG] Mailing list subscription: was hashtag retarded
On Tue, 10 May 2016 07:01:40 +0200
Edward Bartolo <edbarx@???> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The solution to block off all trolls is easy especially for system
> administrators. Make posting to the mailing list only accessible to
> members that are registered in a member list.

Isn't it that way already? What mailing list in its right mind would
let non-members post to it? That's like hanging out a sign saying
"Please send me spam!"

If we let any old fool post here, that bit should be flipped so only
registered list members can post here.

> Needless to state the
> obvious, control membership. For instance, a member would require
> sponsorship from existing members or from some other important
> contributor in the project like jaromil.

I don't think we're that snobbish. Simply requiring would-be posters to
sign up is sufficient. Another benefit is that it gets rid of those
truly obnoxious "I'm not on the list so please copy
lazyfool@???" messages.

If somebody becomes a real problem, the admins can Armstrong him. Sure,
he can pull a Gregory and come back with another address, at which time
*that* address can be Armstronged. Very few trolls are so persistent
that they keep coming back with new addresses, so this won't be much of
a problem.

And once again, allow me to promote the health benefits of individual
list recipients killfiling those who annoy them:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/init/killfile.htm

If everyone killfiled those who annoy them, our list admins would have
little to do.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21