:: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
On Tue, 3 May 2016 13:00:39 +0100
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> On Tue, May 03, 2016 at 06:32:41AM -0500, Jim Murphy wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

> > I know this is in the very early stages and where things go is
> > still open to discussion, but consider this.
> >
> > UNIX and lookalikes have been able to boot into single user mode
> > with a small root filesystem without the need for /usr, /var or ...
> > There are still admins that have split any number of these
> > directories into their own filesystems for various reasons. I guess
> > you can call these use-cases. By placing the init systems in /var
> > we again remove another choice for admins/users. If we are about
> > choice, then /var may not be the best place to put inits.
> >
> > Something to consider and discuss, I hope.
> >

> I definitely agree with you Jim, and this is certainly one aspect to
> be taken into account seriously. We should strive to allow the maximum
> flexibility in choosing an init system, ensuring that the set of
> constraints remains as small as possible.

Interesting point. Perhaps that's why Daniel J Bernstein (djb) put
the /service directory directly off the root. He also put his
executables in, IIRC, /command directly off the root. I always thought
he was crazy, but Jim's point brings some sense to what djb did.

One distro I saw (perhaps Debian) put the /service directory
under /etc. At the time I thought the packager was psychotic, but Jim's
point makes me wonder if the real truth is I was a little shortsighted.

Perhaps LSB should add a directory called /mustnotbemountpoint directly
off the root, for stuff that must be available immediately upon
mounting the root partition for the first time.

Steve

Steve Litt
April 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21