:: Re: [DNG] For all you automounter p…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] For all you automounter programmers
Le 27/04/2016 08:46, Noel Torres a écrit :
> Joel Roth <joelz@???> escribió:
>> As a suggestion for an aspiring automounter writer (or
>> reminder to self) I was thinking that if we can get a
>> sufficiently unique identifier from the device (UUID, etc.)
>> it might be nice to map that to a memorable mount target.
>> It could be a noun or adjective-noun from a list that would
>> be automatically chosen and written to the device after
>> mounting.
>> [...]
>> Too weird? Okay, I'm open, just something better than
>> /mnt/sde7.
>
> Why not just the Label of the filesystem being mounted?

     This is what graphical mount-helpers of most DEs do, and it's the
most sensible thing to do. However, the skilled admin might want to
bypass this by providing a specific  config for a specific uuid, like
trigger some backup.

     Wishlist: the "automounter" shouldn't mount automatically, by
default. It should rather offer an easy mount-handle, and the umount
counterpart.

     Didier