:: Re: [DNG] Which desktops work witho…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Steve Litt
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Which desktops work without systemd
On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 17:08:10 +0900
Simon Walter <simon@???> wrote:

> On 04/23/2016 04:20 PM, aitor_czr wrote:
> >
> > On 04/22/2016 11:17 AM, KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:
> >> In my opinion there's no magic line where things on one side are
> >> window

> > I agree with you, there is not a borderline.
>
> It doesn't matter how much you agree on an opinion. That will not
> make it fact. There is a technical difference between the two. Just
> look up the definition of "window manager" and "desktop environment"
> on any techsite/dictionary/encyclopedia. Unless you are trying to
> sound ignorant, it would make sense to use the correct terminology.

I've never been afraid of sounding ignorant, especially when I'm right.
All the X environments I've ever seen have window managers to manipulate
and add decorations to windows. Most X environments I've seen have
programs added on to the basic window manager to work with it,
configure it, and add features to it. So the question is: How much
software is added to the software that manages and decorates windows?
And that answer varies across a spectrum, according to the
wm/de/whatever you're discussing.

By the way, anyone wanting to take "sounding ignorant" to the next
level should argue that LXDE is as much of a Desktop Environment as
Gnome, or that LXDE as much of a Window Manager as dwm.

One more thing: I think this whole wm/de thing is a useless
distinction that never should have been made.

Oh, and I claim authorship of the thing that Aitor agreed with: It was
me who said that, not KatolaZ.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21