:: [DNG] Open Kernels (was: Debian is…
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Open Kernels (was: Debian is no longer GNU/Linux?)
Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@???> writes:

[...]

> I ran into minor graphics problems last year when I tried Debian
> GNU/kFreeBSD on a notebook, but other than that it seems good to go. If
> I had servers, I would be running it already.

Until a few years ago, the Debian-on-FreeBSD project actually still had
a web page stating something like "How can you trust Linux when everyone
is allowed to change it?", strongly hinting at illegal activities which
must surely go along with that. While this page doesn't exist anymore,
I'm reasonably certain that the main motivation behind such activities
is still "simply cannot trust Linux -- came out of nowhere about twenty
years ago and contributors are not (or almost not) vetted beyond looking
at their code".

I've been working with Linux, both in the form of using it and
extending/ changing the code (a few bits of it public but most of them
for various proprietary software projects) since 2004 and I consider it
an extremly solid piece of code which is developed roughly in line with
accepted, current best practices for software development (this refers
to the code) and is thus much more accessible to third-party
modification than BSD-originated code usually happens to be (disclaimer:
Didn't see much of that post-2005), IOW I'm (presently) using Debian
because it provides a decent userland for Linux, not despite it runs on
this kernel.

NB: This is an opinion and not a divine relevation. Other people have
formed different opinions on this for reasons which can be regarded as
being equally sensible.