:: Re: [DNG] Debian is no longer GNU/L…
Author: Lars Noodén
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Open Kernels (was: Debian is no longer GNU/Linux?)
Subject: Re: [DNG] Debian is no longer GNU/Linux?
On 04/14/2016 05:43 PM, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 02:00:36PM +0100, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 8:25 PM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
>>> A year or two ago they announced they were going to support BSD as
>>> another kernel.
>>
>> IIRC they had previously supported BSD, had they not?
>>

> I believe that the Debian GNU/kFreeBSD is a relatively old project,
> indeed (it dates back to 2009, IIRC), even if it looks abandoned at
> the moment (or not actively developed, at least). I don't know whether
> they are now reviving it...
>
> HND
>
> KatolaZ

There is still ongoing work on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, but there was a
decision by the others to not include it as an official architecture:

http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/66034-systemd-again?-debian-drops-kfreebsd-as-official-architecture

Perhaps systemd played a role in that decision by the others.

On their list, they are continuing more or less as usual despite the
political set back. It recently picked up some more attention with the
beta of UbuntuBSD which aims to be Ubuntu on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD:

http://itsfoss.com/ubuntubsd-ubuntu-freebsd/

I ran into minor graphics problems last year when I tried Debian
GNU/kFreeBSD on a notebook, but other than that it seems good to go. If
I had servers, I would be running it already. Though I am only keeping
half an eye on it for now, but do plan to at least try UbuntuBSD when it
gets a little further to see how it goes on that notebook.

Regards,
Lars