:: Re: [DNG] installer messes up swap …
Author: Daniel Reurich
To: Boruch Baum, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] installer messes up swap partition on multi-boot
Hi Boruch,

On 22/03/16 09:29, Boruch Baum wrote:
> On today's install device, I had a pre-existing linux with a swap
> partition on the disk, and the partitioner insisted on re-formatting it.

> This is BAD. It changes the UUID of the swap partition, which messes up
> the other operating systems on the device, because the recent 'best
> practice' has been to identify partitions in fstab by UUID.

Did it really? Good - so it should!! If you selected using that existing
swap volume, I think that it's a reasonable default for it to format it.
Same goes for any other volume except /home. If you had reason to not
want it formated then you should have to mark it to not be formatted.

This protects you from situations where you do a new install re-using
the existing partition/volume layout and an ensures that any old
suspend2disk data in the swap is wiped out preventing a corruption
resulting from the next reboot from trying to restore from the stale
suspend image.

I'm sure that the installer only would do this if you chose to set that
partition up as swap in the first place. Given that suspend2disk uses
the swap volume I'd recommend never using the same swap space for
different linux systems anyway in a multi-boot setup.

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.