:: Re: [DNG] Speaking of Window Manage…
Author: Simon Wise
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Speaking of Window Managers
On 01/03/16 01:40, Rob Owens wrote:
> I use hotkeys extensively in Fluxbox. Fluxbox allows you to set each
> hotkey individually, so you could have Ctrl-Alt-a perform one action
> and Control-Shift-a perform another. I would like the configuration
> to allow variables and multiple hotkeys. This should be a valid
> configuration:
>
> HOTKEY=ctrl-alt
> HOTKEY2=ctrl-alt-shift
> $HOTKEY-a :Exec /usr/bin/a
> $HOTKEY-b :Exec /usr/bin/b
> $HOTKEY2-c :Exec /usr/bin/c
> ctrl-shift-d :Exec /usr/bin/d

Many DEs provide configurable hotkeys, with their own methods of customising.

The advantage of using xbindkeys is that it watches keystrokes as they enter X,
so it does not matter which, if any, DE is running. So the same set of hotkeys
is configured in a simple file and consistent and independent of DE

The syntax is ...

# open the terminal specified in debian-alternatives
"x-terminal-emulator"
Mod4+Alt+x

# open the filename highlighted in vim
"gvim -geometry 80x29-10+130 `xclip -o`"
Mod4+e

-----

If you want to spend time it is possible to use a scheme configuration file
instead, and then have the ability to set up modes or key sequences etc.

For hotkeys to work even without X running use triggerhappy instead, it is
especially useful as it can listen to most devices, not just keyboards, and can
listen to individual keyboards not just the generic combined one.

To use these with a desktop a few tools are useful ...

xclip wmctrl xwit xdotool

Simon