:: Re: [DNG] Speaking of Window Manage…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: KatolaZ
À: Hendrik Boom
CC: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Speaking of Window Managers
On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 08:35:05AM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:

[cut]

> > I belive there is little point in asking such questions: you will get
> > as many different answers as the number of people who provide an
> > answer...
>
> There is a purely technical aspects to this question:
>
>    conflict with hotkey assignments commonly used by other tools.

> There is still point in discussing this.

Well, any hotkey that is not a combination of four or five keys has
already been used in one of the applications that some of your
potential users consider "a fundamental tool" for their
productivity. Just to make a few examples: GIMP, Inkscape, Vim, Emacs,
etc.

If we take also into account that little thing called "personal
preferences" and those two big monsters named "habit" and "laziness",
you will recknon that there is little point in discussing which
default hotkeys one should use for this and that. Anybody you ask will
name "the best" set of hotkeys...

The first thing I do in a new unix installation is getting wmaker and
then copying the GNUStep directory and the .emacs file I have
"accumulated" in my unix lifetime, so for me there is no point at all
in discussing hot-keys for xfce or for another application: mine are
the best (for me).

> One way to minimize this is to have one hotkey to access a menu for
> all the different functions proposed for hotkeys, and for one of the
> menu items to be to configure hotkeys.

I think this is a very bad idea. A hot-key is useful if you don't have
to think about it or to select it from a list, if you can use it
blindfolded, without looking at the keyboard or the screen, and if in
the end it becomes like a thin glove which you don't feel you are
wearing or use. The rest is just cluttering the interface without
profit, IMHO.

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]