:: Re: [DNG] Speaking of Window Manage…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Simon Wise
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Speaking of Window Managers
On 27/02/16 20:42, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 12:05:50AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

>> Just for fun, I'd like some opinions. If a Window Manager were
>> integrated with Dmenu (which is trivially easy usually), what hotkeys
>> would you recommend, given that keys can be alt, ctrl, shift, alt-ctrl,
>> alt-shift, ctrl-shift, and even alt-ctrl-shift?
>>

> I belive there is little point in asking such questions: you will get
> as many different answers as the number of people who provide an
> answer...

certainly!

Using xbindkeys gives a simple text file (but you can also go crazy with scheme
and all sorts of modes and sequences if you really insist) so customising is
easy ... then it becomes a matter of defaults.

I try to start with vim-like ones over on the right end of the keyboard and a
bunch of mnemonic ones for my common tasks on the left end ... but that is a
rather personal choice.

> Anyway:

My rule is always use the win (i.e. meta) key for desktop shortcuts to avoid
almost all clashes with application shortcuts.

>> Hotkey to bring up Dmenu?
>>

> Alt+p (default in xmonad)

meta-z, it is ergonomically easy and z didn't have other obvious uses

>> Hotkey to bring up window list sorted by workspace?
>>

> Why would one like to have anything like that? In my case it would
> mean between 30 and 60 windows scattered around 7 or 8 workspaces:
> useless...

+1 for that, but I have lots of shortcuts to switch or toggle workspaces and
windows within them as I use a tiling window manager.

>> Hotkey to bring up window manager menu?
>>

> F12 (default in WMaker

before I switched to a tiling desktop I just left this as right or middle click
on desktop, and rarely used it

>> Hotkey to toggle laptop mousepad on and off?
>>

> Alt+k?

there has been a built-in key for that on my laptops

>> Hotkey to close a window (Alt+F4 sucks in my opinion)
>>

> Alt+F4

meta-delete, with meta-return to create a new terminal window

Then add a few examples to give the user some hints about the ways to get
imaginative with their own shortcuts ... switching focus, using the selection
and clipboard buffers, sending text output to a pager, using the debian
alternatives as generic names for browsers, calling a simple script with an
argument, that kind of thing.

Simon