:: [DNG] leveldb support proposal
Author: Ivan J.
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] leveldb support proposal
Hello DnG.

Is there interest in Devuan supporting multiple versions of leveldb?
Why I am wondering is because of Bitcoin and its code. Currently Bitcoin
statically links db-4.8 and it is used for having wallet support in
Bitcoin Core. Currently, this is the way it's done for binary distros.
Where the problem arises is when you try to build Bitcoin Core yourself.
You need to compile with db-4.8 libraries, and we all know distros have
dropped it in favor of 5.x... Using system leveldb on distros requires
higher QA for leveldb than typical.
What I am proposing is Devuan to support multiple versions of leveldb
and tie Bitcoin packages to the right one. Another option is to never
push updates to leveldb until they are known consensus-safe. It would be
awesome if Devuan could be the second distro to meet the higher
standards required for the Bitcoin code; for example, a bugfix to
leveldb could cause serious security problems with Bitcoin. (This is why
it's statically linked for almost every distro).

I currently have no way to do the research on other packages and their
leveldb dependencies, what works and what not. So I would like some
input and feedback from you.

~ parazyd