:: Re: [DNG] leveldb support proposal
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] leveldb support proposal
"Ivan J." <parazyd@???> writes:
> Is there interest in Devuan supporting multiple versions of leveldb?
> Why I am wondering is because of Bitcoin and its code. Currently Bitcoin
> statically links db-4.8 and it is used for having wallet support in
> Bitcoin Core.

libdb is usually the BerkerleyDB library.

[...]

> a bugfix to leveldb could cause serious security problems with
> Bitcoin. (This is why it's statically linked for almost every distro).

A certain type of developers (usually with a Windows-background,
recently successfully invaded Uubuntu and the long-term plans of "the
systemd cabal" go towards this as well) always ends up pissing in their
pants and then fainting at the mere prospect of "users" being able to
affect "code changes" of any nature.

Considering that shared objects and dynamic linking were originally a
MULTICS feature (dating back to about 1965) and introduced to UNIX(*)
with SunOS 4.0 in 1988, the best course of action to deal with people
who are so afraid of changes that they keep rejecting "useful new
features" for 51/ 28 years in a row is "roundly ignore them". Especially
if they claim to be 'modernizers' because the ancient technology they're
so wedded to is so seriously ancient that large groups of people
meanwhile forgot about that ...