:: Re: [DNG] state of what's working f…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Rainer Weikusat
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] state of what's working for modern desktop usage
Steve Litt <slitt@???> writes:

[...]

>>From 2000 through 2013 I consistently used "We do it all for you"
> distros: Mandrake, Mandriva, and then Ubuntu (later Xubuntu and
> Lubuntu). Most of the time, when I plugged in a thumb drive, BANG, its
> mounted-self appeared on the desktop (or whatever).

That's one of these 'feature' I consistently have serious troubles with
understanding why it's considered a feature at all. The last time I
'plugged in a thumb drive', I wanted to replace the Linux system stored
on it with a VFAT partition I could put some mp3 into in order to play
them with a CD player. This meant I had to delete the existing Linux
parition, create a new VFAT paritition, create a VFAT filesystem on
that, mount that somewhere, copy the files over, umount/ wait until the
data was really copied. "Plug it in and BANG, some piece of obnoxious
software mounts it in some idiotic place, say,

/dev/dsk/u56yttt6w/lo/behold/foo/bar

and I have to get rid of this mount and prevent the software from doing
that again before *I* can use *my* thumbdrive" doesn't sound appealing
to me.

Even if I just want to access the files, how's the computer going to
know where I want to mount it this time?