:: Re: [DNG] Migration to devuan Jessi…
Author: KatolaZ
To: Gregory Nowak
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Migration to devuan Jessie failed on rpi-zero
On Sun, Feb 07, 2016 at 08:18:40PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:

[cut]

> I think that depends on what one expects. If someone gets one of
> these, and hopes it can replace a modern desktop/laptop, then that
> person will indeed be frustrated. I wanted to use mine as a router
> possibly running i2p and freenet as well, and I thought when I was
> getting it I had a good understanding of its limitations. It does the
> router part very well as I expected. It ran i2p well enough also,
> though I have since transferred that to my laptop for reasons unrelated
> to performance. The freenet node ran fine when it was idle. However
> putting some downloads in the queue made the freenet node slow to
> respond, and it crashed once a day or so.. I had hoped all of that
> would be otherwise, but am not surprised by the reality of things. The
> main job for my rpi2 is to be a router, and it does that very well so far.

I have never been a big fan of rpis, and I know that there are much
better alternatives in terms of performance and freedom. To be honest,
the most part of non-free stuff on rpis is relegated to boot and
graphics, which is the same problem we have on almost every other
server, desktop, mobile platform, so it does not bother me too
much. Or to put it better, not much more than a non-free bios or a
non-free firmware for wifi bother me.

However, it is undeniable that with the 5$ pi-zero out there will be
pis everywhere, and there is no reason to add init lock-in to boot and
graphics lock-in. In a word, it would be much better to have a
systemd-free distro for pis, and from my (biased) point of view Devuan
seems the best candidate...

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]