:: Re: [DNG] Bad UEFI: was Systemd at …
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Steve Litt
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Bad UEFI: was Systemd at work: rm -rf EFI
On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 20:07:33 +0000
Rainer Weikusat <rainerweikusat@???> wrote:

> There are really only two options:
>
> 1. Don't mount or mount r/o and require user interfaction prior to
>    working with these variables.

> 2. Mount r/w and expect people messing around with the fs as superuser
>    to know what they're doing.

Let's talk about a minimal standard of safety as opposed to relying on
"knowing what you're doing."

The following is a story about a woman who pushed her husband out their
25th floor window, either accidentally, negligently, or with motive to
kill:

http://tinyurl.com/z6vj3eq

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2293486/Amber-Hilberling-murder-trial-Wife-says-bushing-Air-Force-husband-17th-floor-window-accident.html

And here's a photo of a similar window in the building:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/03/14/article-2293486-18AB5EAB000005DC-906_634x337.jpg

A window going from somewhere between 2 and 3 feet off the floor,
proceeding to about 6 feet off the ground. No railings, no crossbeams,
no patio outside. If a normal sized adult hit that window hard enough
to break it, he/she would fall to his/her death.

I take no stand to the woman's guilt or innocence or motivation, but
looking at that room, it would immediately strike me as dangerous. I'm
surprised more inhabitants of that building haven't fallen to their
deaths. We all know what we're doing, but sometimes there's an
accident. You're having a tug of war with your 100 pound dog, the dog
lets go, and you go right out the window.

In a Poettering/UEFI world, railings are all less than 2 feet high,
high rise picture windows are large and low, mountain roads have no
guard rails on curves, bridge abutments have no sand barrels in front
of them, and people who draw blood don't wear rubber gloves. We all
know what we're doing, and if something goes wrong, we deserve what we
get.

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2016 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key