:: Re: [DNG] systemd is haunting me
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] systemd is haunting me
On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 19:26:48 -0500, Haines wrote in message
<20160131002648.GG8496@???>:

> I have been running Debian Sid on a laptop with a purged systemd for
> quite a few months. Maybe when I now ran # aptitude update or
> safe-upgrade for the first time after several months since the Sid
> installation systemd-udevd seems to have switched my wireless
> interface from wlan0 to wlp3s0.
>
> Changing the entry in /etc/network/interfaces fixed that problem. So
> now I could do a wireless aptitude update and safe-upgrade.
>
> Even though in /etc/apt/preferences.d/systemd I have:
>
> Package: "systemd"
> Pin: origin ""
> Pin-Priority: -1
>
> Systemd was re-installed. Why didn't this systemd file prevent it?
>
> Then I found that while root can run starx with no problem, when user
> does it the desktop comes up frozen along with mouse and keyboard
> input. I found this:
>
>   $ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
>         (EE) systemd-logind: failed to gete session: The name \
>           org.freedesktop.login1 was not provided by any .service  \
>           files.

> Systemd is not on the system, so where did systemd-logind come from?
> How can I block it and recover a usable virtual desktop for user?

..we used to have a "--what-provides" search flag somewhere,
man -k, man dpkg-query, man apt-file, man apt-cache etc did
not turn up anything ringing any bells for me, so I tried:
https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=systemd-logind&mode=filename&suite=unstable&arch=any ?

..I like this a lot better: http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=debian

..can we trust these anymore?
https://packages.debian.org , http://packages.ubuntu.com/ and