著者: Daniel Reurich
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] xserver-xorg-core in Debian unstable now requires libsystemd0
On 29/01/16 23:07, richard lucassen wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 17:54:22 +0000

> I'm very pleased to see that someone is building a libsystemdfree
> xorg.

> But what about security updates?

We will track debians security updates and where an update to a package
that we maintain comes out, we will release a security patch for our
package. I'm keen to see if we can collaborate directly with debians
security team on this and in return help with security for both
distro's. We would like our own security team though, so any volunteers
should get in touch #devuan-security is the irc channel, and email me
about further details.

> And what about future versions? Who is going to do that?

Post release 1.0 we will start working more on the organisational side
and put together various teams to organise releases, security,
infrastructure management etc.

> What about the robustness of Devuan?

At the moment it's robustness is pretty tightly tied to what goes on in
Debian, and for stable this works very well. For testing unstable,
experimental this is harder and we will need to largely rely on
automatations to keep track and prevent breakage.

> Don't get me wrong, I really like the Devuan project, but wouldn't it
> be better to create a "systemv.debian.org", a sub version of debian,
> like the "backports.debian.org"? If Devuan is part of the Debian
> project, we will have much more influence on what's going on. Maybe
> it's better to build an extension to Debian than to build our own
> infrastructure.

I think this is pretty much impossible because Debian is broken from the
top down. It no longer cares about the users and is now clearly
developer egocentric. The users who aren't DD's are without voice and
voting power. This is where Debian has failed, because it's developers
have lost sight of the heart of what Debian was from a social and
collaborative and community oriented project to one that has become a
self sustaining bureaucracy which will continue to operate even if there
is nobody using it. It's as if they think that users are just an
annoyance...

> I fear many people won't agree with me, but I think it's better to
> cooperate with Debian than to fight Debian.

We can cooperate with them where there is benefit, but many attempts to
engage at various levels has resulted in insult and derision.

> Debian has a nice infrastructure. If we will be able to build a
> Debian extension and not a Debian fork, I think we can all win.

There's nothing particularly interesting in their infrastructure that we
can't replicate relatively easily, the biggest resource issue being time.

> On one side we will be able to use Debian's infrastructure and have
> influence on what's going on there, on the other side Debian will
> have a nice and fully supported non-systemd version.

You seem to have forgotten just how much anomosity there was during the
last days around the GR failure and the decision to fork.

Debian as a project doesn't want a "fully supported non-systemd
version". If it did, we wouldn't have needed to fork.

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.