著者: richard lucassen
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] xserver-xorg-core in Debian unstable now requires libsystemd0
On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 08:23:14 -0300
Marlon Nunes <nunes@???> wrote:

> This was already discussed, Devuan is a new project with their own
> ideas. Please look at the mailing list archives. The Devuan is moving
> forward to put in practice their own ideas. So forget about Debian.

I know that it was discussed, but if Devuan wants to grow it should be
able to offer a stable and well maintained repository. That is not the
case at the moment, it's all dependent on a few people who are willing
to put their precious time into Devuan. But will this be enough? Devuan
is nice for a few nerds and in alpha stage, but I will not migrate
corporate systems to Devuan as long as Devuan is a hobby project
without a well maintained and broadly supported infrastructure. I have
some workstations running Debian testing without systemd (but with
libsystemd0) and I can easily switch to Devuan (I have successfully
migrated one desktop). But apart from these workstations, I also run
a few hunderd non-X Debian systems (all systemd free) and I'd like to
keep them systemd free. But I cannot simply migrate these systems to
Devuan just because Devuan's base is too small, for production
environments I simply cannot rely on Devuan for the moment.

That this issue has been discussed over and over again is not a reason
to forget about Debian. If you can't beat then, join them.

All controversies are of a political character (read: emotional
character) and neither Devuan nor Debian gets better that way.

I think Devuan will be much more succesfull as a part of Debian than as
a stand alone distro. We will be number 2067 on the list of
"NeverHeardOf" distro's. The time ROI is very low if Devuan is staying
alone IMHO.

We need (silent) diplomacy, not anti-Debian oratory. It's all about
freedom of choice, nothing more, nothing less. If mister Poettering
suffers from some form of narcism, it is not a reason for us to behave
the same way.

"winner of the war" has been proven to be a contraditio in terminis.

R.

--
richard lucassen
http://contact.xaq.nl/