:: Re: [DNG] Purchasing a new computer…
Author: Gregory Nowak
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Purchasing a new computer/laptop.
On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 10:43:40AM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 07:46:40PM +0100, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Call me paranoid but I am noticing big companies like Microsoft making
> > it very difficult to buy a computer or laptop without Windows
> > installed.
> >
> > Are you experiencing the same difficulty and what do you do when you
> > need to buy a new machine?
>
> I generally go through a laborious, and somewhat painful
> process to install my own choice of OS.

I heard that M$ is forcing the laptop makers to enable TPM, and
prevent it from being disabled, else they aren't allowed to install
windows. Having a choice of OS to install is great, but doesn't TPM
mean that GNU/Linux can't be installed because TPM won't recognize its
signature, if it is signed in the first place? So, getting a machine
without windows on it is all well and good, but what about the issue
of disabling TPM, or is that not an issue?

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1