:: Re: [DNG] Readable code; making cod…
Author: Apollia
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Readable code; making code more easily writable; Emacs, multifiles-apmod; VUE; Code Bubbles; Lisp; Inform 7; HyperCard and HyperTalk - was Re: "Common knowledge?"-question
On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Rainer Weikusat <
rainerweikusat@???> wrote:

> Apollia <apollia112@???> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > I think if I ever did code much in C, my code would end up looking very
> > unusual and unconventional to many people, because I often like to use
> > long, descriptive names for functions and variables, no matter what
> > language I'm using, even Bash.
>
> This style isn't really uncommon for people used to IDEs doing
> identifier auto-completion. But that's not only a bitch to work with
> without it but also difficult to read because of the sheer verbosity of
> the text. Eg, using an identifier
>
> combined-list-of-files-in-all-source-folders
>
> doesn't really communicate more than 'all-files' or even just 'all' (if
> the files is evident from the context) would.

Thanks for the feedback! Perhaps as I get more comfortable with
programming in general I'll stop relying so much on the crutch of overly
verbose names. I know I overdo it to some extent.

But another thing I like about long, unique, non-generic names is that when
doing searches, I can more easily find definitely related pieces of code,
and avoid finding a lot of unrelated pieces of code which just happen to
use the same generic variable names like "x" or "all".

If I were a painter instead of a coder, perhaps I might be more of an
impressionist than a realist or a minimalist. But even that might be too
complimentary of my style. :-) Rather than impressionist, I'm maybe more
of a hasty, impatient finger-painter specializing in abstract blobs. :-)
Or a caricaturist who exaggerates many things ridiculously. :-)

But, hopefully I'll learn to do better after plenty more practice, and
continuing to strive to learn as much as I can from wiser and more
knowledgeable people than me, such as you and probably everyone here.

I'm probably going to go back to being mostly quiet now since I can't think
of much else of interest to add.

But, thanks to you and everyone for all your fascinating, very educational
posts, and all the wonderful work you're all doing on Devuan!

Best wishes,
Apollia