:: Re: [DNG] Upgrading a MIPSel Jessie…
Author: Daniel Reurich
To: David Kuehling, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Upgrading a MIPSel Jessie to Devuan
On 18/01/16 15:02, David Kuehling wrote:

>> Hi, can I perform an "upgrade" from Debian Jessie to Devuan, as
>> described on devuan.org, on a system running MIPSel architecture
>> Debian?
>
> Replying to myself, just for the mail archives: after some chatting on
> #debian-fork it looks like currently Devuan does not build for MIPS
> architectures, just for ARM and x86. Also Devuan does not seem to have
> any build machines currently for MIPS which would be a prerequisite to
> start any work in that direction.
>
> Anybody else here interested in Devuan on MIPS(el) machines? I may
> volunteer some time and (hw) resources, but one developer alone would
> not be much.

For most packages, the time requirement should be negligible and once we
have these archs caught up and having all available devuan packages then
it will only be mips specific build failures that will need help, and
they should be reasonably rare.

> Especially on Mips one may have to work with older or non-official
> kernels, which used to be no problem with Debian, until Systemd came
> around. Here [1] it says systemd needs Linux > 3.7: I only have <= 3.5
> on my Mips machines. Now I'm afraid of ever running "apt-get update"
> again. Having Devuan will make working on Mips systems so much easier
> (I currently use pinning to keep systemd off my system).

Kernel support is something to consider for the future as well as
extending the architecture features that should be supported (things
like floating point etc). There is a little bit of work required to
bootstrap the devuan architecture, but most of that is in creating the
configurations for jenkins jobs rather then development, so I'll handle
that side of things mostly as it will be creating template jobs to
effect each stage of bootstrapping for Devuan.

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.