:: Re: [DNG] Slackware now uses PulseA…
Author: Brad Campbell
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Slackware now uses PulseAudio...
On 18/01/16 10:00, Simon Wise wrote:

> installing it is one step ... but you will not get sound from your
> desktop apps to your speakers without setting things up to achieve that.
> Normally using Jack you will have a number of other apps in the chain
> ... say processing some audio path, or a gui to set the mix, or a matrix
> of some sort that connects all the elements in your audio chain.
>
> Many find the everything-in-one-app approach easier (and learn to match
> their ambitions to the workflows and plugins available) but jack offers
> the advantages of linking lots of small apps (each built along the unix
> line of making a program do one thing and do it well) and allowing the
> user to arrange the ones they prefer in the configuration they want.
> Which takes a little work on the part of the user to set it all up.

My point was using Jack for 'desktop audio' is a bit like booting your
PC by keying in the bootloader using front panel toggle switches. It's
just not the right tool for the job. Now, if you want to multi-track a
couple of channels of audio including playback and live monitoring, and
even patch some FX into the chain, then pulse just ain't going to cut
the mustard.