:: Re: [DNG] Slackware now uses PulseA…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Slackware now uses PulseAudio...
On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 11:52:31 -0500
Mitt Green <mitt_green@???> wrote:

> Also, if you go with OSS, you need neither xfce4-volumed, nor
> xfce4-mixer, because:
> - OSS has its own mixer;
> - volume keys can be configured to be used with it.
>
> Frankly, I don't understand, why Open Sound System
> option is marked DEPRECATED in menuconfig.

Once in my life I managed to install an OSS-only Linux, on
Manjaro-OpenRC alt-initted with Runit. No Pulse, no ALSA. It was a thing
of beauty: The simplicity was breathtaking. And yet it played Youtube
videos just fine.

I had to "modprobe snd_mixer_oss" in /etc/runit/1, and because almost
every volume control depends on either Pulse or ALSA or both, I had to
install rexima (I think aumix might work too) as a volume control.

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28