:: Re: [DNG] Slackware now uses PulseA…
Author: Mitt Green
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] Slackware now uses PulseAudio...
Emiliano Marini wrote:

>Word from Eric Hameleers, one of the main Slackware maintainers (AKA alienbob):

>>"...you have to have PA installed because applications are now linking against it.
>>What you can still do is configure PA to be an input channel for ALSA and leave ALSA to control your hardware.
>>But generally speaking I would not recommend that unless you have high audio quality standards (being a musician or an audiophile) in
>>which case you should look at Jackd anyway instead of just ALSA or PA.
>>Note that PA is no longer maintained/developed by Lennart - it is more stable and useful than in the past, and not the scary broken software
>>it used to be. Something that can also be said for PAM, another stumbling block for slackers."

It's broken by its architecture, not the code, in my opinion;
it may be buggy, may be the most stable sound server out there,
doesn't matter, I'd still won't go with it. Thus, it's not about Lennart
(but it ends on him, because *he*, along with his company of chaps, creates
software that is broken by architecture).

ALSA is not perfect, but it's simpler; it clutters things but not overly.
by happy chance we do have OSS option, which is simpler and portable
and simply works.

My €0.02,
Mitt