:: Re: [DNG] Devuan Weekly News LX
Author: Mitt Green
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan Weekly News LX
Simon Wise wrote:

>There was a very aggressive push to drop the GNU from the GNU/linux name some
>time ago, it was fairly successful. But of course android/linux is just as much
>linux as any other system with linux as the kernel (and because of that I can
>compile a suitable busybox, put it in the right context and get a really useful
>tablet). Though certainly it is no *nix. Many other routers, fridges, cars or
>desktop computers are linux. It is the GNU part that makes one or other of them
>a *nix, it is that part that is being steadily undone alongside the introduction
>of systemd. Much more so than OSX (the last time I looked anyway) where its
>toolchain underneath the GUI is still very unix.

Hehe,

>Android (operating system)
>Developer: Google
>Written in: C, C++, Java
>OS family: Unix-like

There's certainly something Unix-ish in Android apart from the kernel; 'tis a Unix filesystem,
a shell (mksh) and Unix programmes (what in GNU people call coreutils).

OSX is still Unix, and we can compile (pretty much) everything we use now on GNU/Linux
on OSX. Think of OpenDarwin with Xfce, or pkgsrc on OSX. What it moves away from Unix
is the UI. But the same we can say about Unity, GNOME, Cinnamon and KDE.

Mitt