:: Re: [DNG] Devuan Weekly News LX
Author: Simon Wise
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan Weekly News LX
On 05/01/16 00:43, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 04/01/2016 12:29, chillfan@??? a écrit :

>> Aside from the growing strength of the community, we have seen significant
>> progress towards init freedom in Devuan and the approaching beta release.
>> Important init freedom issues have been solved, and security issues will soon
>> come into focus with an eye on the beta release for critical security updates.
>> We are calling for volunteers on this, so feel free to discuss this on the
>> mailing list.
>>

> We are discovering day after day that "init freedom" is about the emerged part
> of the iceberg. Debian still pretends to offer init freedom. What is under the
> sea level is a whole monolithic operating system absorbing all critical Linux
> subsystems like a black hole. Therefore escaping this monster means much more
> than init freedom, it is something like keeping a free Linux/Gnu OS.
>
> It makes more sense every day that RedHat and Debian should rename their OS
> Systemd/Linux in place of Gnu/Linux. It should make sense to them as well, but
> I'm afraid they deny the reality.

There was a very aggressive push to drop the GNU from the GNU/linux name some
time ago, it was fairly successful. But of course android/linux is just as much
linux as any other system with linux as the kernel (and because of that I can
compile a suitable busybox, put it in the right context and get a really useful
tablet). Though certainly it is no *nix. Many other routers, fridges, cars or
desktop computers are linux. It is the GNU part that makes one or other of them
a *nix, it is that part that is being steadily undone alongside the introduction
of systemd. Much more so than OSX (the last time I looked anyway) where its
toolchain underneath the GUI is still very unix.

Apple and Google have the resources to make a decent effort at a big, unified,
locked-down, we-know-what-you-need-just-shut-up-and-consume, GUI dominated
system. If I wanted a unix like that I'd use OSX and drop in some of the tools
that Apple leave out by default, they do fashion and consistent GUI behaviour
much better.

Simon