:: Re: [DNG] FW: support for merged /u…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] FW: support for merged /usr in Debian
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 09:40:16 +0100
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

>      Debian has a tradition to do more in the initramfs than loading
> modules. They use to prepare some tmpfs filesystems before mounting
> the rootfs. If they now cast their initramfs for systemd, it renders
> it unavoidable. I think it just means that Devuan should provide its
> own initramfs, as minimal as possible.

Has everyone noticed the final sentence of the preceding paragraph?
Even if this huge discussion produces nothing else, it produced the
idea of a minimal initramfs. Initramfs is something to be gotten though
as quickly and simply as possibly, and as simple as possible in case
one has to debug problems inside the initramfs.

From what I understand, unless you just want to load it up for no good
reason or to make yourself look magic, initramfs has completely done
its job when the root partition is mounted and when you're
capable of mounting just /usr, or perhaps when you mounted your root
partition (if there's no split).

I'll be there's a way to do the preceding without ever running udev:
Make it really simple. And put a copy of bash and vi in there so if,
heaven forbid, you get stuck in there, you can dig your way out.

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28