:: Re: [DNG] FW: support for merged /u…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] FW: support for merged /usr in Debian
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 09:40:16 +0100
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> Le 02/01/2016 03:25, Steve Litt a écrit :
> > Everything you say above
>
>      Sorry Steve if I overlooked your post.

>      Debian has a tradition to do more in the initramfs than loading
> modules. They use to prepare some tmpfs filesystems before mounting
> the rootfs. If they now cast their initramfs for systemd, it renders
> it unavoidable. I think it just means that Devuan should provide its
> own initramfs, as minimal as possible.

Agreed!

>      Providing a alternate kernel with built-in AHCI (thanks Rainer),
> the scsi subsystem, md RAID driver, and a few filesystems, without
> initramfs would fit the needs of many end users.

We're getting a little far afield from my core competency, but I think
if these drivers and kernel modules are in the expected places on the
root partition, the actual kernel that gets loaded in RAM will be
small. In other words, I don't think this stuff has to be compiled into
the kernel monolithically: It just has to be in the right directories
on the root partition. There's no inconvenience to the project to
compile these modules and put them in the right places on the root
partition.

As long as there's a separate /lib, /bin, and /sbin.

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28