:: Re: [DNG] Ummmm, no
Author: John Crisp
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Ummmm, no
On 30/12/15 23:41, Steve Litt wrote:

> I contend that Red Hat, who runs a consultancy and training, gets
> richer as Linux users know less. If Linux were simple, they'd get
> business only from the stupid.

Yup...

> Correlationally, Red Hat pays the salary of the group of
> people most responsible for the randomized duct taping of Linux
> sometimes referred to as systemd.
>
> Still to be determined: In this case, is the correlation causational?

Still can't understand why so much stuff about systemd seems to allude
to it being started as a personal project by LP & KS. Is that actually
the case, or was it initiated and paid for by RH (as I suspect) ?

Even on the basis that RH didn't actually pay for it at the start,
having sunk funds in to it now I would say that it is undoubtedly
causational :-)

IMHO the vulture capitalists and marketing men saw a neat way to
blindside developers and converge Linux distros to increase their market
dominance and share, ultimately to flog more stuff. They are a business
after all. Got to make their profit and keep their share holders happy
somehow.

The other thing I have long wondered is why Mr Torvalds is so quiet on
systemd. I guess the answer is if he stands up and shouts too much he
gets branded as a bad boy, intransigent, hampering progress et al,
thereby giving RH the justification to dump his kernel in favour of systemd.

Interesting times ahead methinks....