:: Re: [DNG] Proposals for an xfce-des…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Proposals for an xfce-desktop-lite
On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 01:10:58PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 10:42:15 -0500
> Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
>
> > Are there other window
> > managers we could use in the name of minimalism?
>
> There are approximately one million, three hundred and thirty two
> thousand, one hundred and ninety eight excellent window managers you
> can use in the name of minimalism.
>
> You know how all email clients suck? Well, almost all window managers
> are great. Go figure.
>
> For the guy who wants a classic win98 interface (I love these), there's
> LXDE. Rock solid, has all the right stuff and no more: It's wonderful.
>
> If you want to go seriously lightweight, jwm is a win98-like interface
> that's light as a feather.
>
> Right down there between LXDE and jwm is fvwm, whose setup requires
> quite a learning curve, but you can make your fvwm setup work any way
> you want.
>
> Perhaps you want maximum real estate, with no panel (Windows taskbar).
> twm, fluxbox, blackbox, and my favorite, Openbox, fill that need to a
> Tee. Added status points, because when someone sees you using one of
> these, they *know* you're on a level above Windows and OS/x. Combine it
> with dmenu (described later).
>
> All the preceding are floating window managers. There are zillions of
> excellent tiling window managers too. I like dwm from Suckless Tools.
> My friend Chris gave a presentation on i9 where he lighting quick
> rearranged things at the keyboard, always having enough room on the
> current app to do his work. There's awesome, supposedly written in Lua
> so you can configure it and give it new capabilities by writing a
> little Lua code.
>
> Keep in mind that whoever is willing to roll up their sleeves and
> configure can install and integrate dmenu from Suckless Tools on most
> of these window managers, and once dmenu is configured to your hands'
> liking, you'll double or triple your window manager productivity.
>
> There's absolutely no end to excellent lightweight window managers. Now
> if you're asking which should be the Devuan default, I'd say LXDE,
> because anybody can walk right up to an LXDE interface and start using
> it. It's like a one-panel Xfce with a few less features.

I installed LXDE into my devuan alpha 2 system, but I do not know how
to ask for it. My system boots into a green login screen and when I log
in it starts me off with xfce instead. In the old days when I ran
Debian, it would start with a login screen where I could find a menu and
select a window manager.

I'm arguing for discoverability here.

-- hendrik