:: Re: [DNG] Preferred automounter beh…
Author: Simon Hobson
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Preferred automounter behavior?
Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> With /dev/sd? you can at least try to guess which one got
> plugged in last, and then verify.

It's certainly no warse (probably better actually) than the Windows world where it could be E:, F:, or something else - and it could even change depending which USB port it was plugged into !

On that latter one, from listening to some of the helldesk chatter, it seems over the years we've had problems with customer backups failing because the customer plugged the removable drive into a different USB socket, so it got a different letter, and so the backup failed. Talk about a pile of steaming manure built on top of another pile of well seasoned manure. Drive letters, so 1970s :-/

As a Linux (almost all command line) user, I'm used to sdxn for working with partitions. Since this program is aimed at people not using file managers, then I rather think most of your target audience will be similar.