:: Re: [DNG] Preferred automounter beh…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Preferred automounter behavior?
On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 00:50:48 +0100
Teodoro Santoni <asbrasbra@???> wrote:

> Hey there,

> > Anyway, if I stick in a thumb drive that contains
> > partitions /dev/sdd1 and /dev/sdd2, would the most convenient way
> > for it to automount be /mnt/sdd1 and /mnt/sdd2, or would it be more
> > convenient by the ID so it might look
> > like /mnt/usb-Generic_Flash_Disk_0FEAEC2F-0:0-part1
> > and /mnt/usb-Generic_Flash_Disk_0FEAEC2F-0:0-part2?
>
> My very personal use-case suggests this behaviour: if the device has a
> label, use that (/mnt/label), otherwise the block device name for
> brevity.

That *does* sound good. I might put it on a todo list. But what also
has to be checked for is that two plugged in devices don't
inadvertently have the same label.

> If I don't know whatever I plugged in, I would ls whatever there is.
> Or run blkid.

That would be a pretty easy tool for me to create and package with the
automounter.

> Probably though, being a tool that would work independently from file
> managers and DEs, the UUID would be a better choice, because `ls /mnt`
> would be everything you need to inspect whatever is mounted.

The problem I see with that is this: Who knows the UUID of all their
thumb drives. With /dev/sd? you can at least try to guess which one got
plugged in last, and then verify.

SteveT
--
SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist