:: Re: [DNG] Preferred automounter beh…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Preferred automounter behavior?
On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 15:27:02 -0300
Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI <renaud@???> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 12:42:59 -0500
> Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
>
> > Anyway, if I stick in a thumb drive that contains
> > partitions /dev/sdd1 and /dev/sdd2, would the most convenient way
> > for it to automount be /mnt/sdd1 and /mnt/sdd2, or would it be more
> > convenient by the ID so it might look
> > like /mnt/usb-Generic_Flash_Disk_0FEAEC2F-0:0-part1
> > and /mnt/usb-Generic_Flash_Disk_0FEAEC2F-0:0-part2?
>
> My two-pence worth: If the partition has a label, use that and mount
> at /media/label

Thanks Ron,

I thought of that, but two different thumb drives could both have, for
instance, a label called "data". If it weren't for that, I'd for sure
do it by label first. The label shows the intention of the guy who
wrote the thumb.

> (Why /mnt ?)

Tradition. It exists on all distros I've ever seen, and it's used for
mountpoints. Do you think the more modern, file manager-centric /media
would be a better choice? That would be no more difficult.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist