:: Re: [DNG] Our friendly community
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: Dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Our friendly community
Mitt Green <mitt_green@???> writes:
> You miss my point. I am trying to deliver
> the message that it is in my opinion
> unacceptable for people to use oath and insults in
> public. Doesn't matter in a pub, in a shop,
> in a mailing list, in a class, in a street, whatever.
> It can be acceptable in gangsta rap, in rednecks
> societies, in Louis CK stand-up.

I'm afraid, I don't. I also mostly happen to agree with you save for a
slightly different cultural background, (I hate using myself as an
example but there's no other choice here), namely, I was born in a
small, rural German town. Both of my parents moved there because they
were teachers at the local grammar school and both were themselves
children of people who ended up displaced because of WWII. This meant
that I grew up in an environment where high/ standard German was the
spoken language. Unfortunately, for most other children (and really most
grown-up people from this area, too) this was the first "foreign
language" they were forced to learn at school and sometimes forced to
use when communicating with certain swells. Consequently, ever since I
had to go to school myself, I was slated and frequently also physcially
attacked on the presumption that I was intentionally trying to show my
contempt for normal people because of my use of this unsavory language
only the bigheaded ever use instead of the local dialect all good people
appreciate so very much. And you certainly wouldn't approve of their
choice of words.

My conclusion from this is that what people do or don't consider
"acceptable use of language" is pretty arbitrary, mostly dependent on
their personal history, and a very bad indicator of attitude.