:: Re: [DNG] netman: Please, do NOT us…
Author: aitor_czr
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] netman: Please, do NOT use 17-Dec-2015 commit/merge
Hi Edward,

On 21/12/15 14:16, Edward Bartolo <edbarx@???> wrote:
> Hi Rainer and many thanks for your help,
> In line with the quote above, what else should NOT be included in my
> upload (git push) to git.devuan.org?
>
> The list follows here:
>
> edbarx@edbarx-pc:~/netman_from_backup_08.12.2015$  git status
> On branch master
> Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
> Changes to be committed:
>    (use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)

>     modified:   Makefile
>     modified:   debian/netman-backend.install
>     modified:   debian/rules

Once you applied the patch, you will get:

aitor@devuan:~/netman-08.12.2015/netman$ git status
On branch master
Changes not staged for commit:
(use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
(use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)

     modified:   Makefile
     modified:   debian/netman-backend.install
     modified:   debian/rules

no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")

They aren't staged. So, do this one:

aitor@devuan:~/netman-08.12.2015/netman$ git add .
aitor@devuan:~/netman-08.12.2015/netman$ git status
On branch master
Changes to be committed:
(use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)

     modified:   Makefile
     modified:   debian/netman-backend.install
     modified:   debian/rules

Now they are staged and you can commit them:

aitor@devuan:~/netman-08.12.2015/netman$ git commit --all
[master bece006] modified: Makefile modified:
debian/netman-backend.install modified: debian/rules
rewrite debian/rules (97%)

The Makefile file belongs to the upstream branch. You must generate a
quilt patch for this change:

aitor@devuan:~/netman-08.12.2015/netman$ dpkg-source --commit
dpkg-source: información: se han detectado cambios locales, los ficheros
modificados son:
netman/Makefile
Introduzca el nombre del parche:
[ ... ]

Give a name to the patch.

Now, commit the patch included in debian/patches:

aitor@devuan:~/netman-08.12.2015/netman$ git add .
aitor@devuan:~/netman-08.12.2015/netman$ git commit --all
[master ce84baf] .
7 files changed, 64 insertions(+)
create mode 100644 .pc/.quilt_patches
create mode 100644 .pc/.quilt_series
create mode 100644 .pc/.version
create mode 100644 .pc/applied-patches
create mode 100644 .pc/rainer.patch/Makefile
create mode 100644 debian/patches/rainer.patch
create mode 100644 debian/patches/series

You can see the applied patchesin .pc/applied_patches.

You can apply patches one by one using *quilt push* or unapply using
*quilt pop*.

As well, you can apply all the patches using *quilt push -a* or unapply
them using *quilt pop -a*.

Now you can build the packages.

> Untracked files:
>    (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)

>     .pc/
>       backend
>     backend_src/bin/
>     backend_src/obj/
>     debian/patches/
>       debian/tmp/

> I think, I should instruct git to ignore all of them (.gitignore).
>
> Edward

You can instruct git to ignore all of them, *except debian/patches*. So,
*don't* add debian/patches to .gitignore

On the other hand, i suggest you to use a separate folder as build area:

$ git-buildpackage --git-export-dir="../build-area" [ ... ]

Cheers,

Aitor.