:: Re: [DNG] Our friendly community
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Our friendly community
On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 17:06:43 +0100
John Hughes <john@???> wrote:

> > I previously thought that Devuan aim was to remove
> > *any* of systemd components.
>
> Funny, I thought Devuan was about choice.

Yes and no. This was discussed several months ago.

A huge priority of Devuan is to allow choice. However, because each
systemd-ism tends to restrict choice, Devuan has decided to simply
throw away the systemd-ism if a) It requires work to fit in, or b) it
hinders any kinds of other choices users might make.

Also there's this: Read the front page of devuan.org and read this:

"We are working towards a stable, production ready fork of Debian
Jessie, free from the entangling web of dependencies imposed by
systemd."

It's clear that, although choice is a huge priority, systemd is and has
always been and will always be a special case.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist