:: Re: [DNG] top posting, was: Re: De…
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] top posting, was: Re: Debianising my uploaded version of netman.
Jaromil <jaromil@???> writes:
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015, Gregory Nowak wrote:
>> I have to throw in my $0.01 here. First, like Edward, I too prefer top
>> posting. I have noticed also that top posting seems to be an
>> overwhelming convention on blindness-related lists. I have seen
>> instances of bottom posters getting flamed on a blindness-related list
>> for doing so.
>
> this sounds strange. since its very inception we have struggled to keep
> Dyne.org infrastructure and practices as friendly as possible for people
> with low or even no vision, since some of our funding members had such
> conditions. In my experience bottom posting is fine, as screen readers
> should be recognizing and signaling the quote prefix '>' and offer to
> skip over it.

'Top posting' vs 'bottom posting' is a false dichotomy (could also be
regarded as strawman): It's really "unredacted full-quote with some text
attached", possibly even "unredacted full-quote of something completely
unrelated" vs "reply to the text you're replying to and keep enough of
the context that readers can understand what you are writing
about". There are also people who put their own text below an unredacted
full-quote but that's not really different from putting it at the top:
Both are examples of an "can't be bothered to express myself clearly"
mentality (Reader can figure that out! If not, screw him!).