:: [Libbitcoin] libbitcoin-consensus, …
Author: Eric Voskuil
To: libbitcoin
Subject: [Libbitcoin] libbitcoin-consensus, bip65 and bip66
I'm taking a short detour to update libbitcoin-consensus for the
bitcoind 0.12.0 release, as well as libbitcoin and libbitcoin-blockchain
for bip65 and bip66.

This includes the removal of the consensus library OpenSSL dependency,
replaced by the latest version of libsecp256k1. Libbitcoin native
consensus checks already utilize libsecp256k1, as does wallet
functionality, so this required synchronizing the dependency between
libbitcoin and libbitcoin-consensus.

The interface changes in this version of libsecp256k1 were fairly
significant, but libbitcoin and libbitcoin-consensus public interfaces
remain backward compatible. Since there is no versioned package for
libsecp256k1, installers will build from libbitcoin/secp256k1/version4.

The above work is complete in the bip65 feature branch, based on the
head of libbitcoin/version2.

I am presently incorporating BIP65 (OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY) into our
native consensus checks. Libbitcoin has not been enforcing BIP66 (DER
signatures), although signatures generated by libbitcoin are conforming.
I'll be incorporating activation for both as part of this work.

This and the trip to Hong Kong has set me back a bit, but I'm making
good progress on the sync and network updates.