:: Re: [DNG] Is netman being adopted o…
Author: Timo Buhrmester
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Is netman being adopted or was it a waste of time and effort?
On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 06:05:00PM +0000, Rainer Weikusat wrote:

> >> It would be "preferable" if a SCM would just store whatever one desires
> >> to put into it.
> > Do you have any point or do you just enjoy typing?
>
> One could argue that I was somewhat careless in my first reply to you as
> I actually wrote something about you (namely, "that's your opinion but
> not mine") which sort-of solicitated an angry retort.

???

> However, stating that "a source code management system" or - better term
> here - "version control system" should simply store whatever someone
> desires to store in, just like - say - a filesystem, is certainly not
> a personal remark.

Correct, that is not a personal remark. Why are you pointing this out?

Just to get back on topic since you obviously lost track of the discussion:
- We have a build system. Let's call it build.sh for simplicity, regarless of
what it is in reality.

- build.sh is set to build the project in a directory called "obj".

- "obj" has no other purpose than to hold the results of the build process.

Who should create "obj", and why?

I feel that using a repository hack to keep obj around introduces
an unnecessary and trivially avoidable dependency. What if I don't
obtain the source through a check-out of that repository?
What is the benefit of /not/ having build.sh mkdir obj?