:: Re: [DNG] Detailed technical treati…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Detailed technical treatise of systemd
On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 21:29:47 +0100
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> Le 07/11/2015 15:26, Steve Litt a écrit :
> > for the vast majority of us the difference
> > between a 1 second boot and a 40 second boot is we get a chance to
> > go get a cup of coffee every day, week, month, year, whatever. And
> > frankly, it's been a long time since I've seen any system that takes
> > more than 30 seconds to boot
>
>      Why the hell did they invent suspend-to-disk? And why are you
> using it? Arent' you?

On every distro I ever worked with, suspend to disk was an iffy
proposition that could result in lots of open files being saved in a
dirty manner following a whole reboot. It sounds nice, but after being
burned a few times, I don't trust suspend to disk as far as I can throw
a whale.

Nevertheless, I have no problem with a 30 second reboot on a laptop.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist