:: Re: [DNG] About the experimental li…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Simon Hobson
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng@lists.dyne.org
Aihe: Re: [DNG] About the experimental live DVD
Godefridus Daalmans <frits@???> wrote:

> We all need to begin somewhere.
>
> Not all of us are experienced enough in the areas we need to learn to make Devuan thrive.

Indeed, and I feel a bit "leechish" not being able to put anything practical in - I know next to nothing about packaging and all that. I wouldn't even know where to start looking to do what you've done !

> A large task like "make an improved Devuan fork of a Debian package" or "make a better udev" or "split dbus in three" is best done in little steps

Indeed. And I see it as a huge task. Clearly at the moment there are quite knowledgable people fixing the things that matter to them, and trying to get the infrastructure into a working order. I worry that it's such a long road from here to where a "normal admin" like myself can sell Devuan as a stable system to management that there's a risk that Wheezy will go out of support first. I hope that doesn't happen, but if it does then it makes life difficult for the majority of us who rely on packaged stuff, but may need to meet manglement rules on using "supported" software (especially manglement that's used to working with Windows which is where the bulk of work's business lies.)