:: [DNG] Colorization command : hl (Hi…
Author: Martial Bornet
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Colorization command : hl (HighLight)
Hi everyone,

since I needed a command to colorize text files and commands output, and I
couldn't find anywhere the command I needed, I decided to write one.

If you are interested in it, you can download the source files from :
https://github.com/mbornet-hl/hl .

You can use up to 42 colors in TTY mode, with a really simple syntax.
This command uses two configuration files :
- /etc/default/hl
- $HOME/.hl.cfg

I added a man page for the command, and a man page for the configuration
files.

The configurations from $HOME/.hl.cfg override those from /etc/default/hl .

With this command, you can highlight strings or lines from log files or
from the output of commands like df (with different colors showing exceeded
thresholds), ps (with colors showing different CPU time ranges), and so on.

Since I found no equivalent to this command on Linux, I thought it might be
useful to some of you.

This command is currently not available in any kind of package (RPM, .deb,
...), but if some people think it is useful and it could one day be
included in a GNU/Linux distribution, I thought it might be a good idea to
begin with Devuan.

Hope you'll like it.

Regards.

Martial