:: Re: [unSYSTEM] We have crypto. Now …
Author: odinn
To: unsystem
Subject: Re: [unSYSTEM] We have crypto. Now what? Was: Charged over encryption software
Late response on my part, but I don't think your (Arturo's) post is
off topic at all. Rather, it raises some salient and relevant issues
to contemplate.

My brief reply / 100,000 foot view / 20-year brief analysis:

- - I sense that there is a gradual building of tools (specifically,
such progressively hardened cryptographic software solutions, which
may be oriented to either financial privacy, anonymity, or
alternatively some form of distributively autonomous function, such as
the so-called DAOs); this gradual building of tools is somewhat
comparable conceptually to the refinement of the spear or sword over
time. However, as the function does not require it be used to
facilitate violence, what happens is contingent upon the cultural
shift, or lack thereof, that accompanies that aforementioned "gradual
building of tools." Tools are needed, but they are not enough; a
cultural shift is needed also. A society, culture, region, or
community which develops some sort of compassionate path essentially
as part of how it operates will find a billion new possibilities with
these new technologies, the communities, etc., which largely use them
for status quo purposes, e.g. rampant speculation, warmongering,
hoarding, and so forth, will also find many possibilities, but, may
find itself becoming a technological North Korea (forgiving the
nationalistic reference) as other communities blossom to a greater
degree through the liberative experience of cultural shifts, sharing
and giving of value, collaborative defense mechanisms, and peacemaking.

This of course may be overly optimistic. For example, as autonomous
objects (whether robots or distributed-software DAOs scattered across
the net) grow in type and number, their purpose being whatever we have
told (programmed!) them to do, it may be that we have not thought hard
enough about the general and specific that has already gone into the
initial sort of instructions in the early days of their development;
even if we look at the (mostly) human-controlled remote controlled
objects, the largest number of the most advanced of these are
controlled by the military who use them to destroy human beings, an
activity which is of course funded by taxpayers. And, even though
governments around the world are less able now to collect taxes than
they were a few short years ago, unless use of cryptography in the
context of a fully anonymous payment vehicle becomes more widespread,
it will be altogether too simple for governments to command the use of
taxpayer dollars to fund completely autonomous killing systems. (It
is not a stretch to say that perhaps these same systems, or at least
the servers which help manage them, would eventually autonomously
collect your taxes as well, and attempt to prosecute you if you failed
to pay.)

Assuming, however, that at least some communities or regions would
have adopted numerous methods of supporting one another that do not
directly involve interfacing with the state, then it is possible that
systems of voluntary contributions within communities, coupled with
different styles of anonymous economies, make stateless systems
possible (and can allow them to flourish and withhold most resources
from a state) even in an environment where highly oppressive
corporation-states exist.

Here is an article which discusses this subject in an interesting way:
(Shadow economy? No, it's the real economy: From 1990s to today, the
real economy (SystemD) has experienced net growth as regulated
economies crash and burn, and banks close branches at an increasing
rate - FP 2011)
http://foreignpolicy.com/2011/10/28/the-shadow-superpower/

I'm not sure I have that much to say about the part where you stated,
"Is it really necessary to fuck up a beautiful technology such as 3d
printing to make a political statement?" It's interesting you would
say that, since the US government is not 3-d printing weapons and
other parts. Many things are tools, a 3-d printer is no exception.
Using it to make what you want does not "fuck up a beautiful
technology." Even if 3-d printing did not exist, we'd still be in our
shop grinding out parts with a drill press -- or a jig:
http://www.80percentarms.com/products/80-ar-15-easy-jig
No serial # required, no registration (if you want you can go launch a
campaign to ban drill presses and jigs, though I bet you wouldn't get
far with that)

But then, one of the main questions of this, Arturo's post was, "What
use is crypto and these tools to us if we don't have an idea or a plan
as to what we should do with it?"

I think that is a good question and it is indeed for that reason that
I suggest looking at a 'microgiving' project I've been working on for
a while,

http://abis.io

You can see some recent implementation discussion of it at

https://bytecointalk.org/showthread.php?tid=82

https://bytecoin.org/blog/future-of-slacktivism/

Functionally, bytecoin (BCN) is different than the numerous other
coins out there; there is a recent post which explains some of its
workings fairly well here (a Sept. 4, 2015 whitepaper):
https://bytecoin.org/blog/cryptonote-aggregate-addresses-whitepaper/

The ideas here are not fully rolled out yet but some of the use cases
will be rolled out in BCN's GUI Wallet at some point in the near future.

"What use is crypto and these tools to us if we don't have an idea or
a plan as to what we should do with it?"

To sum up, if you want to leverage the greatest possibilities
available from crypto, not only must you build, but you must build in
a way that offers people the ability and opportunity to give in a way
they previously could not.

- - O

Arturo Filastò: